Know About the DASH Plan
“DASH” or the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) is an eating plan which can reduce the risk of developing high blood pressure, and also manage existing hypertension.
- The first DASH diet research showed that it could lower blood pressure as efficiently as the first line anti-hypertensive medications, even with a sodium intake of 3300 mg/day.
- Other than hypertension, DASH diet reduces the risk of many diseases like stroke, heart disease, heart failure, kidney stones, diabetes, and even some kinds of cancer.
- It can be considered as an Americanized version of the Mediterranean diet, and owing to its specific guidelines it is easier to follow.
Advise to Follow the DASH Plan
- Seek Advice From Experts: The number of servings that is right for you may vary, depending on your caloric need. Hence, it is advisable to consult a nutritionist before adopting DASH diet.
- Track Your Diet Plan: A good way to start with the DASH eating plan is to keep a diary of your current eating habits to track down the time where you tend to eat high-fat food, or when you skip meals. Later, make necessary changes in your diet.
- Go Slow: Increase your servings of fruits, vegetables, and grains gradually, as DASH diet is high in fibre, and may temporarily cause bloating and diarrhoea.
- Know What’s Best for Your Tummy: If you have trouble digesting dairy products, try lactase enzyme pills or drops, or buy lactose-free milk or milk with lactase enzyme added to it.
- Look Before You Leap: Carefully read the food labels to compare fat content in packaged foods, as items marked low-fat or fat free are not always lower in calories than their regular versions.
- Beat Sugar Cravings: Limit foods with lots of added sugar, such as pies, flavoured yogurts, candy bars, ice cream, sherbet, regular soft drinks, and fruit drinks.
- Eat it Right: Instead of snacking on chips or sweets, eat unsalted pretzels or nuts, raisins, low-fat and fat-free yogurt, frozen yogurt, unsalted plain popcorn with no butter, and raw vegetables.
“DASH”is a dietary plan which is clinically proven to reduce blood pressure, and the risk of developing hypertension. We, at Turacoz Healthcare Solutions, consider it our corporate social responsibility to share the dietary approaches that can save you from the pangs of hypertension and many other diseases associated with it. Know how to manage hypertension with the DASH plan.